Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Do Make Say Think: ST (1998)

The first Do Make Say Think album I ever heard was the breathtaking goodbye enemy airship the landlord is dead. I remember the whole experience as if it occurred yesterday. I was listening to Yanqui U.X.O. by Godspeed You Black Emperor at the time and I was flipping through the Constellation Records order form that came tucked safely between the album artwork and liner notes. Of all the bands listed, I chose to invest my last bit of money for the month into Do Make Say Think. I always do my best to start with a band's first album so I can get a sense of the natural and inevitable sense of progression that occurs between each release. But for some reason that remains inexplicable to this day, I broke my time honored tradition and began my foray into the world of DMST with goodbye. After quickly becoming obsessed with goodbye, it was only natural to search for the band's other releases. It was with a bit of trepidation that I approached the band's debut, eponymous release. After all, it only makes sense that a band's first offering be somewhat muddled and not fully realized. Imagine my surprise when I learned that none of these shortcomings applied to DMST. Their debut was exciting and unwieldy, full of surprise and endless variation. As a teenager, trying seriously to establish lifelong musical preferences, DMST's eponymous release was a godsend. Its fuzzed out, jazz-inflected, psychedelic glory was the perfect antidote for my growing disillusionment with the state of music. It made me realize the incredible power a band could possess when they play music that is true to each of the member's creative impulses. This is not to suggest that the album is not challenging. I've listened to it in the neighborhood of three dozen times and I still feel somewhat ill-equipped to chart its features. At times, abrasive, at others, mesmerizing. At times, dissonant, at others, genuinely melodic. At times, as frightening and awe-inspiring as one's first glimpse of the ocean, at others, as soothing and familiar as the house where you were raised. The album is both an energetic and brilliant pronouncement and an enticing sample of things to come.


1 comment:

  1. really, really great review of a great band. keep it up David!

    matt

    ReplyDelete